sâmbătă, 13 decembrie 2008

Windows 7

Because of a good friend of mine, my appetite for testing and betas (re)opened. Therefore I have installed on my desktop Virtual PC 2007 SP1 from Microsoft and downloaded the windows 7 beta dvd image build 6956. So now I have Vista Business 32 bit on the notebook, Vista Home Premium 64bit on the desktop, Windows XP Professional SP2 on the desktop, Windows Xp Professional SP3 on the mini-pc, Windows 7 on the virtual PC from the desktop and Ubuntu 8.4 on the notebook.

The installation went without an issue. I was surprised to see that the setup created two partitions on the virtual hard-drive. The 'normal' one and a small one of 200mb "used for the filesystem". Not sure what this means right now because I don't remember any special changes regarding this aspect but who knows? Maybe I've missed something.
Anyway anyhow, there are a handful of changes visible to any user and some more 'under the hood' stuff.
I can't talk about performance since I'm running in virtual mode but I've noticed much less services opened as standard. Around 35. In Vista I have around 65. This might be because not all of them are running since it is a beta. From what I've heard from others, performance IS better. This is translated to less resources used by the operating system.
That's all for now. Perhaps more about the changes in a future post but not very sure since the holidays are coming.

V

Niciun comentariu: