joi, 20 decembrie 2007

ReadyBoost Works!

YES!!! It truly does work! However, let's not jump to conclusions so fast. First of all, if you have a quad-core, 4 or more gigabytes of ram and so on, no, readyboost won't do you any good. In fact, according to some reviewers, it will even slow down you startup.
Readyboost doesn't even work very well on my 4200+ X2 with 4gb of ram.

In fact, this technology is good in only to cases. One, if you have only 1GB of ram or two, if your hard drive has less than 7200 rpms.

Unfortunately, my notebook has a slow hdd. It does have 2gb of ddr2 but the hdd preety much sucks. It is alos true that with a faster one it would have heated up quicker and the battery would last for a shorter period of time.

Anyways, I noticed that my startup was pretty slow and since I was in the "experimenting with my flash usb memory" state I decided it was the perfect occasion to do this.

To my shame, I haven't done a rough test but to my surprize the difference is noticeable "with bare eyes". Indeed the boot-up is faster. Also Microsoft Outlook starts up quicker than it used to before inserting my SanDisk Cruiser and activating ReadyBoost.

So here we go. Waiting forward to installing Service Pack 1 for Vista which I heard that not only does it improve overall performance, but comes with a few tweaks for ReadyBoost. Release Candidate is out, but I'm not going to install it. I will wait when everything is 100% done.

Niciun comentariu: